By Bob Walters
For better or worse, good or bad, fun or serious, small or big – God seems to be all over the news in recent months. Some clips …
– We have a new gerund: “Tebowing” is an identifiable Christian “thing.”
– Indianapolis Super Bowl CEO Allison Melangton regularly listened to K-Love Christian radio in her office as her crew rockedAmerica’s biggest party.
– The Roman Catholic Church, which mounted a nationwide advertising campaign over the holidays (CatholicsComeHome.org), has modified its liturgy. Now, “Passing the Peace” at Mass includes saying “And also with your spirit,” an appropriate nod to the Holy Spirit, the all-too-often-underappreciated essence of the Trinity.
– As for the Mayan Calendar “End of the World” thing next Dec. 21 … who’s running the show, anyway? God, or the Mayans?
– I think it’s creepy when any government official – left, right or center – compares his social/economic agenda to the will of Jesus Christ by proof-texting the Bible like President Obama did Feb. 2 at the national prayer breakfast . That’s a red flag.
– Also, the President’s yes-we-will, no-we-won’t federal health insurance contraception contradictions involving Catholic charities tangles public policy and Church doctrine. Pope John XXIII’s 1968 “Humanae Vitae” is revealing, and history shows the Pope had it right (see page 100, column #93, Aug. 18, 2008, in my book Common Christianity / Uncommon Commentary).
– The Susan G. Komen Foundation exists to protect humanity from breast cancer, but willingly bows to pressure from Planned Parenthood not to protect humanity in the womb … oops, I mean, “not to infringe on a women’s freedom of choice and right to reproductive health.” See Psalm 139:13. I believe God is serious about his knitting.
– Creationism will not be taught as science inIndianahigh schools. Fine. Why not just accept science as a fascinating part of the search for God, and thereby allow God in the classroom without trying to dissect Him on a lab table? If anything is a Creationism lab experiment, it’s us, not God.
– ASept. 14, 2011“errant” internal memo suggested thatWalterReedArmyHospitalban Bibles and other faith items. Oops! The ban was rescinded as soon as it became public.
– The political, sectarian, tribal, genocidal and budding nuclear hornet’s nest of the Middle East andAfricagrows uglier daily. Will God be more glorified if He fixes it, or if we trust God and pray for the strength, courage, and wisdom to endure what comes?
Sadly, the news isn’t always good; but thankfully, God is always the truth.