The Carmel Road Racing Group would like to remind residents to prepare for temporary lane restrictions and brief street closures in parts of the city due to the sixth annual Carmel Marathon Weekend on April 16. Short delays can be expected. Motorists are advised to plan alternate routes, allow for extra driving time and proceed with caution along the event course.
The Carmel Road Racing Group and City of Carmel Police Department have worked together to plan the event route in a way to lessen the impact on road closures while ensuring the safety of race participants and volunteers.
The marathon begins and finishes at Carmel’s Palladium at the Center for Performing Arts (at 3rd Avenue and City Center Drive) with the course passing through many of the city’s popular areas, including the Carmel Arts and Design District, Old Town Carmel and a variety of Carmel Clay Parks. All events begin at 7:30 a.m., with a maximum course time of 6.5 hours. The course and finish line will officially close at 2 p.m.
Both lanes of City Center Drive, eastbound and westbound, will close in front of Divvy on at 11 p.m. on April 15 and remain closed until 2:05 p.m. on April 16 for the start/finish area of the race. Traffic will be able to access City Center during those times. The 8K and 5K courses have been altered for 2016 to remove congestion around the Smokey Row/Range Line Road roundabout, as runners will not circle the roundabout as in past events.
Other temporary single-lane delays will occur between 7:15 a.m. and 2 p.m. as follows:
- 116th Street: 7:55-9:10 a.m. (between Hazel Dell and River Road)
- 116th Street: 9:18 a.m. – 12:56 p.m. (between Pennsylvania and College)
- 126th Street eastbound: 7:30-9:25 a.m.
- 126th Street westbound: 7:45-8:45 a.m.
- 136th Street: 8-11:50 a.m.
- Arborwood Trail: 8:45 a.m.-12:55 p.m.
- Beaverbrook Drive: 8:40 a.m.-12:40 p.m.
- Bentley Drive: 7:40-8:15 a.m.
- Brompton Road: 7:40-8:15 a.m.
- Burr Oak Drive: 8:40 a.m.-12:40 p.m.
- Carey Road northbound: 8-11:10 a.m.
- Central Park Trails: 8:45 a.m.-12:55 p.m.
- Charing Cross Road southbound: 7:40-8:15 a.m.
- Cherry Creek Boulevard single lane: 8:20-10:10 a.m.
- Cherry Tree Road single lane: 8:55-10:25 a.m.
- City Center Drive: 8:55 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
- College Avenue Full closure: 8:55 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
- Congressional Boulevard northbound: 8:55 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
- Grand Boulevard eastbound: 8:25 a.m.-1:45 p.m.
- Gray Road northbound: 7:45-8:30 a.m.
- Harrison Drive: 7:45-8:45 a.m.
- Haverton Way: 8:15-9:45 a.m.
- Hawthrone Drive: 7:55-10:55 a.m.
- Hazel Dell Parkway single lane northbound: 7:50-8:55 a.m.
- High Drive single lane northbound: 7:45 – 8:45 a.m.
- Hillcrest Drive single lane northbound: 7:47 – 8:50 a.m.
- Jason Street westbound: 8:05-11:25 a.m.
- Kill Deer/Augamarine: 8:55-10:25 a.m.
- Limberlost Drive: 7:45-8:45 a.m.
- Main Street eastbound: 7:50-1:40 p.m.
- Mississinewa: 8:15-9:45 a.m.
- N. Penn Street northbound single lane: 8:35 a.m.-12:25 p.m.
- Old Meridian northbound single lane: 8:30 a.m.-12:15 p.m.
- Rangeline Road southbound: 7:30 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Red Cedar Way: 8:15-9:45 a.m.
- River Road northbound: 8-9:15 a.m.
- Ruckle Street: 8:40 a.m.-12:40 p.m.
- Guilford Road northbound: 8:25 a.m.-1:50 p.m.
- Settlers Ridge Trail: 8:15-9:45 a.m.
- Shag Bark Trail: 8:40 a.m.-12:40 p.m.
- West Main Street eastbound: 7:30 a.m.-2 p.m.
- West Main Street westbound: 7:30 a.m.- 8:05 a.m.