Commentary by Supt. Dr. Allen Bourff
The 2016-17 school year begins Aug. 10 for more than 21,000 kindergarteners through seniors of Hamilton Southeastern Schools. Our teachers and administrators are actively preparing for another exciting season of award-winning instruction and engagement. We look forward to seeing each student and to working with parents and community partners for a great year.
(On) May 3, our community passed the district’s operating referendum with a 71 percent majority. It was a great vote of confidence, and HSE Schools will enthusiastically rise to the challenge.
As promised, here is what you can expect in 2016-2017:
• Lower class sizes K-6 – Portable classrooms have been leased to immediately address overcrowding at the elementary level this fall.
• More high quality teachers – HSE welcomes 43 additional teachers K-6 to limit class sizes and provide students with more personalized instruction.
• Assistant principals in all K-4 buildings – Many of our elementary school enrollments exceed 700 students. The addition of administrative support will enable principals to devote more time to advancing instruction.
• iPads for K-8 students; laptops for grades 9-12 – As part of the HSE21 initiative, Hamilton Southeastern Schools has implemented the final phases a 1:1 digital program K-8 and a Bring Your Own Device program in grades 9-12. The goal of HSE21 is to prepare students for global competition and transform learning through inquiry, STEAM and technology-rich instruction.
• Fee Relief for Parents – In direct response to the concerns of many parents, HSE administrators, principals and teachers have worked diligently this summer to reduce — and in many cases eliminate — rental and participation fees for the upcoming year.
Hamilton Southeastern is home to an amazing set of champions. For all your support of these champions — and many others in the making — thank you! Our teachers, staff and administrators will always work to grow your trust.
Now, for a great school year!
Enroll your new students online at hse.k12.in.us/ADM/enrollment/index.aspx.
Dr. Allen Bourff is the superintendent of Hamilton Southeastern Schools.