By Anna Skinner
Westfield residents will once again have a chance to enjoy fireworks and other activities on Grand Park fields July 4 during the eighth annual Westfield Rocks the 4th event. Last year was the first time the patriotic celebration was held at Grand Park. Prior to that, it was held at Asa Bales Park.
“This will be our eighth year of hosting Westfield Rocks the 4th,” Parks Director Melody Jones said. “I could not be prouder of the continued success we have every year. It has grown rapidly. We have such great volunteer and sponsorship support, which makes it all possible. Westfield is a wonderful and supportive community, and it makes me so happy to bring this event to the community each year to celebrate July 4th.”
“This is the second year that Westfield Rocks the 4th will be held at Grand Park. Grand Park has the green space, the parking (and) the traffic flow to host such a diverse and large event,” Mayor Andy Cook said. “The Parks and Recreation Dept. has been able to offer even more activities such as zip lines because we have the space to accommodate the equipment and the crowds. Westfield Rocks the 4th is such a spectacular event, and every year it just keeps getting better.”
New and returning events will be offered. For more, visit enjoywestfieldevents.com/wr4homepage.
In addition to the location of Westfield Rocks the 4th moving to the west side of Grand Park, various new activities will take place, including:
- Two zip lines: Tickets are sold in advance online for $15. They are available at eventbrite.com/e/westfield-rocks-the-4th-zipline-tickets-32166635272. The Zip Lines are in Lot E and will be from 4 to 9:30 p.m. Children must weigh more than 40 pounds and less than 250 pounds to participate.
- Outdoor ice skating rink: The rink will be in Lot E and open from 4 to 10 p.m.
- Westfield High School Band Rock-A-Thon: This event will be from 4 to 8 p.m. in Field 21.
- Adult beverage tent: Vendors are open from 4 to 10:30 p.m. and can be found in the main event are.
- The Game Zone: Designed for teens and adults. It is open from 4 to 10 p.m. in Field 21. Game Zone activities include archery tag, slides, a human version of Hungry, Hungry Hippos and more. For Kids Zone, Zip Line and Game Zone, a waiver must be completed prior to participation. It can be found at digitalwaiversrus.com/waiverSignup.php?CIACustomerID=27636.
RETURNING EVENTS SCHEDULE:
- 4 p.m. – Event starts; Westfield Washington Schools Supt. Sherry Grate will address the crowd.
- 5-7:30 p.m. – The Headliner Car Show will take place in Lot E.
- 4:15-5:45 p.m. – The Tides perform. Music includes songs from the 1950s to modern songs.
- 5:50-6:05 p.m. – The Hot Dog Eating Contest will take place on the stage adjacent to the Main Stage.
- 6:30-8 p.m. – The Bishops perform. The Bishops are a 7-piece band that will perform dance music.
- 7:30-8 p.m. – Headliner Car Show awards presented.
- 8-8:15 p.m. – The Honor Guard Presents the Colors and the national anthem will be sung by Westfield High School senior Rhyan Radabaugh.
- 8:15 p.m. – Mayor Andy Cook’s address.
- 8:30-10 p.m. – The Fab Four the Ultimate Tribute will perform.
- 10 p.m.— Fireworks Display
The VIP Area debuted at Westfield Rocks the 4th last year and returns this year. Amenities include food and beverages; tents and seating for attendees and their guests; family friendly activities only available in the VIP Area; premium parking for the event; and a close location for fireworks viewing. The area is near the Main Stage. Contact Melody Jones at 317-339-9068 or firstname.lastname@example.org to make reservations. Seating is limited.
Volunteers can be used at an information booth; as greeters for the main and VIP areas; at a check-in tent; surveyors; vendors; security for fireworks launch area; and monitors in no-parking areas. To sign up to volunteer, visit enjoywestfieldevents.com/volunteer-1.