The Hamilton County Democratic Party held a caucus June 27 at the Hamilton East Public Library in Fishers to appoint candidates for elected office that did not have a Democratic candidate in the primary.
Three candidates filed a Declaration of Candidacy at least 72 hours before the caucus. However, the party passed a resolution that allowed party chair Joe Weingarten to appoint candidates to fill vacancies at the time of the meeting. Four candidates voiced their hopes to run at the meeting, in addition to the three already filed. Seven candidates were appointed, six of which were in Current’s coverage area. They are:
- Jason Straw will oppose Dennis Quakenbush (R) for Hamilton County Sheriff.
- Daniel Greenhalgh will oppose Debbie Driskell (R) for Delaware Township Trustee.
- Rosemary Dunkle will oppose Christine Altman (R) for County Commissioner District 1.
- David Russ will oppose Douglas Callahan (R) for Clay Township Trustee.
- Rachna Greulach will run for Fall Creek Township board, which has three seats available. She will oppose Jason Meyer (R), Greg Dewald (R) and Brian Baehl (R).
- Mimi DeMore will run for Noblesville Township Board, which has three seats available. She will oppose Joe Arrowood (R), John Davis (R), Peggy Pfister (R), Jill Crehan (D) and Paula Jo Gilliam (D).
The following are the remaining, opposed races in Current’s coverage areas:
- U.S. Senator: Mike Braun (R) and Joe Donnelly (D)
- U.S. Representative District 5: Susan Brooks (R) and Dee Thornton (D)
- Indiana State Senator District 29: Mike Delph (R) and J.D. Ford (D)
- Indiana State Senator District 31: James Merritt, Jr. (R) and Derek Camp (D)
- Indiana State Representative District 24: Donna Schaibley (R) and Naomi Bechtold (D)
- Indiana State Representative District 29: Chuck Goodrich (R) and Tracy Roberts (D)
- Indiana State Representative District 37: Todd Huston (R) and Aimee Rivera Cole (D)
- Indiana State Representative District 39: Jerry Torr (R) and Mark Hinton (D)
- Indiana State Representative District 88: Brian Bosma (R) and Poonam Gill (D)
- Hamilton County Council District 1: Fred Glynn (R) and Jeremy Eltz (D)
- Hamilton County Council District 3: Steve Schwartz (R) and Jeremy Hawk (D)
- Hamilton County Council District 4: Ken Alexander (R) and William Howard II (D)
- Clay Township Board: Mary Eckard (R), Paul Hensel (R), Matthew Snyder (R), Kevin Patterson (D), Michael Sweeten (D) and Erin Vahrenkamp (D)
- Delaware Township Board: David Giffel (R), Ed Pierce (R), Marilyn Schenkel (R), Dayna Colbert (D), Mary Ray (D) and Bianca Zaklikowski (D)
- Noblesville Township Trustee: Tom Kenley (R) and Heather Rolinski (D)
- Washington Township Board: Danyele Easterhaus (R), David Gill (R), Erica Strahm (R) and Shelly Brown (D)
- Wayne Township Board: Robert Brent Hiday (R), Stacy Mahan (R), Laura McNamara (R) and Brandy Bast (D)