The Indianapolis Metropolitan Planning Organization announced May 22 it has awarded $55.5 million in funding for various infrastructure projects in several areas, including Carmel, Fishers, Westfield and Hamilton County. The projects will go to bid in 2024.
The projects funded in Hamilton County include:
- A roundabout at 106th Street and Westfield Boulevard in Carmel
- A roundabout at 96th Street and College Avenue in Carmel
- Improvements to the 116th Street and Allisonville Road intersection in Fishers
- A roundabout at 126th Street and Southeastern Parkway in Fishers
- A roundabout at Olio Road and Southeastern Parkway in Fishers
- Reconstruction of the Bell Ford Bridge in Hamilton County
- Replacement of Bridge 187 in Hamilton County
- Resurfacing 146th Street from U.S. 31 to Hazel Dell Parkway
- A safety upgrade on Midland Trace Trail in Westfield
According to a press release from the Indianapolis MPO, each project requires a local match to be funded, and the projects were judged based on technical criteria relative to the funding category. The criteria include impacts to air quality, improvements to congestion, safety, pavement quality and more.
“With requests for 69 projects totaling $180 million, it is clear that infrastructure needs in Central Indiana are great,” Indianapolis MPO Executive Director Anna Gremling stated. “This funding will help local governments address the ongoing challenges of building and maintaining the infrastructure that is so critical to the regional and state economies.”
Other projects are in Avon, Beech Grove, Franklin, Greenfield and Indianapolis.