Carmel proposes ban on staking out parade spots until 6 a.m. day before

0

Last month Carmel City Council President Jeff Worrell asked for feedback on a possible ordinance to address reserving spots for the CarmelFest July 4 parade, and he got it.

As of Aug. 14, Worrell said he was still working to respond to all of the emails he received on the issue. He reviewed a wealth of ideas and used the feedback to propose an ordinance that will go before the city council for a first reading Aug. 19.

“I am introducing a starting point,” he said. “I fully expect there to be feedback, testimony and discussion, as there should be, at the committee level.”

The proposed ordinance prohibits the public from using anything but lawn chairs to claim a spot in the right-of-way to watch the parade, and chairs may not be left out earlier than 6 a.m. the day before the parade.

It also states that the city may impound property that violates the ordinance. The property will be kept at the Carmel Street Dept., where it can be picked up by the owner.

This year, people began claiming spots nearly two weeks before the July 4 parade, which led to damaged property and created difficulties for some businesses. It also caused some people to think they wouldn’t be able to find a spot at the parade if they didn’t claim a spot early, but Worrell said that is not the case.

“There’s not a seating shortage. You can come to the parade the day of (the event) and get a great seat,” he said. “Generally speaking people are very generous and kind and allow you to squeeze in.”

The council will discuss the ordinance at its 6 p.m. meeting Aug. 19 at Carmel City Hall, 1 Civic Square.

 

Share.

Leave A Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.