Action: Additional appropriation in the Fire Fund
- What it means: The adopted fire fund amount for the 2012 budget was $679,417; however, the amount advertised was $597,246. Clerk-Treasurer Janet Jaros said because the amount advertised was lower than the amount adopted, the state cut the budget to the advertised amount. The additional appropriation will allow the adopted amount to be spent, which is not an increase above the original amount first approved by the council.
- What’s next: Paperwork for the state will be sent for its approval.
Action: Change of zoning and adoption of development plan for parking lot
- What it means: The property at 175 S. Eighth and 656 Cherry streets has been rezoned from R5 (multi-family residential) to R5/GUO (residential/government use overlay) in order for it to become a new 15-space parking lot. The area, which once housed trailers, was purchased using parking meter funds. Construction costs to build the parking lot will also come from parking meter funds.
- What’s next: Construction of the parking lot will begin and be completed this spring/summer. Some of the landscaping with the parking lot will not occur until the fall because of the planting season for some trees and plants.
Action: City to vacate right of way along old Brooks School Road (public hearing)
- What it means: Brooks School Road, between Greenfield Avenue and 136th Street, was abandoned and removed in 2007. With no foreseeable public purpose, the city is looking to vacate certain parcels of right-of-way land to adjacent landowners.
- What’s next: Since the public hearing has taken place, the council will vote on the ordinance next Tuesday.