Space heater causes residential fire


The house shortly after firefighters began extinguishing the fire. (Photo provided by John Barrett)

A space heater set fire to a Westfield home this morning at 14605 Little Eagle Creek Ave. Shortly after midnight, an elderly man was watching television noticed smoke coming from a front room. WFD Spokeman John Barrett said he jumped up, made his alarm panel, and hit the panic button. Smoke detectors blared and he got out of the house.

“Firefighters rushed to the home and found flames busting through first floor windows. They quickly went into action – fighting the blaze with water,” said Barrett. “With the fire almost out, firefighters soon found flames jumping into void spaces. These spaces caused by numerous renovations and older construction made it extremely difficult for firefighters.”

Barrett said the elderly man is staying with neighbors overnight and the American Red Cross is assisting, as well. He was also treated by paramedics and released without going to the hospital. The damage is estimated at $50,000. Firefighters from Carmel, Sheridan, Zionsville and Perry Township assisted with the blaze.

Current Morning Briefing Logo

Stay CURRENT with our daily newsletter (M-F) and breaking news alerts delivered to your inbox for free!

Select list(s) to subscribe to

By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: Current Publishing, 30 S. Range Line Road, Carmel, IN, 46032, You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact