Commentary by Kristina Johnson
You can just feel it. Summer that is. The season often causes a desire to change ones hair color, whether it be adding highlights or changing the color all together. Not sure what you should do? Here are a few general rules of thumb:
- If you were blond as a child, you’ll mostly likely look good as a blond now.
- Those with blue or green eyes often look great as blonds too.
- Consult your stylist on what shade of hair color would work best on you. Too warm and your skin can end up looking red.
- The best hair color allows for contrast, while also showing off the face.
And what’s trending for the summer of 2013?
- Going red is hot this year. Think anything from strawberry blond to auburn.
- The reverse ombre – lighter at the roots and gradually going darker.
- “Bronde” – the perfect sun kissed look for brunettes who don’t look good as all-over blonds or who just want to add a touch of something new.
Summer is also the time of year when your hair is most susceptible to extra damage. The daily toll we take on our hair can be immense, but added time spent outdoors can be destructive to your hair as well.
Damage from the sun and swimming in pools and salt water can wreak more havoc on your hair than you may think. So what’s a person to do? Look for products that contain SPF in them to prevent over blonding and color fade. And for chlorine and salt removal, look for products, such as Aveda’s Sun Care, that work specifically to remove these components.
Your hair should be the least of your worries. Now go enjoy your summer!