As I promised last time, some more things about your dog that you might want to know:
• Can dogs get sunburn? The short answer is yes they can. That is why you should never shear a dog’s coat too short.
• Did you know that “premium” dog foods actually cost less than so-called “economy” brands? The reason is that the higher-priced dog food is so densely packed with nutrients you can feed your dog less of it.
• Is it ok for your dog to drink from the birdbath? No. Birds carry fungal diseases that infect both dogs and humans. Give Fido an outside water bowl and put it where the birds can’t get it.
• Checking breathing in an unconscious dog.
Place your hand on the dog’s side to feel if the chest is moving up and down. You can also hold a mirror near his mouth. If it fogs up, he’s breathing. If not, you may need to perform CPR in this order of priorities.
Airway: Check the throat and mouth for foreign objects
Breathing: If your dog isn’t breathing, place your mouth over his muzzle if he weighs more than thirty pounds. Seal his entire snout with your mouth if he weighs less than thirty pounds and gently exhale until you see the chest rise. Give four or five breaths rapidly and then check to see if your dog is breathing without assistance.
Circulation: If you can’t detect a heartbeat or pulse, you will need to perform chest compressions. Ask your veterinarian how to perform them.
• One last little thing, several customers have asked me is if it’s ok for your dog to eat toilet paper? It won’t hurt him, unless he eats several rolls, just don’t feed him dinner.
• One last little pet peeve of mine is cleaning up after your dog. What you do in your own yard is your business, but when you walk your dog in a public place, like the Monon trail, please cleanup after your dog. Just because there is snow on the ground, it does not absolve you from cleanup duties. I have noticed piles of dog poop when I walk Karma – from big dogs. Not fun to dodge piles of dog poop. Please clean up after your dog.