By Adam Aasen
The Carmel Street Department released its list of roads to be repaved. It’s proposing to repave an additional 28 miles of city streets this year and targeting 45 miles of roadway for repaving in 2015.
Previously, the Carmel City Council approved a $700,000 to be moved from the city’s rainy day fund to help keep up with road repairs after a rough winter. This was all part of a process of restoring the city’s budget after cuts were made.
Mayor Jim Brainard agreed that attention needs to be paid to Carmel’s streets and suggested an additional $800,000 be appropriated to help projects stay on track. But councilors disagreed for two reasons: Because they thought it was financially irresponsible to take so much money out of emergency reserves and because there was no list to specify how the funds would be spent.
Some councilors suggested that would be happy to spend more than $700,000, but first they would like to see how far the money will go toward completing road repairs.
The list of road repaving projects was released, but no cost was specified next to each road, an omission that Councilor Luci Snyder found interesting.
“But perhaps that’s coming,” she said.
Snyder said Hazel Dell Parkway was one road she was happy to see on the list of proposed projects for 2015 because she feels it is a priority.
For 2014, other notable streets include Carmel Drive from Keystone Avenue to 126th Street, Medical Drive from Range Line Road to Carmel Drive, Smokey Row Road from Keystone to Gray Road, Shelbourne Road between 131st and 146th streets, 116th Street between Towne and Shelbourne roads and Carey Road from Smokey Row to 146th Street.
In addition the entire subdivisions of Jordan Woods and Claridge Farm are scheduled to be repaved this year.
Dave Huffman, director of the streets department, cautioned residents to know that the list is a “proposal” and can be subject to change for a variety of reasons.
If residents feel there is a road that needs attention, they can call the street department at 733-2001, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Tentative 2015 road repaving priorities
● 116th Street, from Hazel Dell Parkway to River Road
● 122nd Street, from River Road to the pavement change
● First Alley North of 1st Street, from N. Range Line Road to 1st Avenue NE
● First Alley North of 1st Street NW, from Range Line Road to 1st Avenue NW
● 1st Avenue NE, from Main Street to 8th Street NE
● 1st Avenue NW, from W. Main Street to 1st Street NW
● 1st Avenue NW, from 8th Street NW to 1st Street NW
● 1st Avenue SW, to 3rd Street SW
● 2nd Street NE, from North Range Line Road to 4th Avenue NE
● 2nd Street SW, from 2nd Avenue SW to 4th Avenue SW
● 3rd Street SW, from 2nd Avenue SW to Range Line Road
● Angela Lane, from 1 Angela Lane to Village Drive
● Arrowwood Drive, from 1889 Arrowwood Drive to 146th Street
● Audubon/Sylvan, from 2nd Avenue NE
● Brick Pavers at City Hall
● Clearview Drive, from Dubarry Drive to the pavement change
● Cool Creek Drive, from 131st Street
● Coopers Hawk Drive, from Cherry Tree Road to Cherry Tree Road
● Deer Ridge Drive North, from Gray Road to Deer Ridge Drive South
● Deer Ridge Drive South, from Deer Ridge Drive North to Dove Drive
● Dorset Boulevard, from Spingmill Road to Brighton Avenue
● Driveiftwood Drive, from Hawthorne Drive to Carey Road
● Edinburgh Drive, from 1377 Edinburgh Drive to Bridgefield Drive
● Enclave Court
● Executive Drive, from Range Line Road to Carmel Drive
● Harrowgate Drive, from Main Street
● Hazel Dell Parkway, from 96th Street to 116th Street
● Hoover Road, from 116th Street to Gwynmere Run
● Kingsbury Drive, from Springmill Road
● Lansdowne Lane, from Harrowgate Drive to Harrowgate Drive
● Melark Drive, from Enclave Court
● Mounds Court, from Kingsbury Drive
● Patoka Place, from Springmill Road to Kingsbury Drive
● Power Drive, from Williamson Parkway to Randell
● Queensborough Drive, from Arrowwood Drive to Woodgate Drive
● Range Line Road, from Carmel Drive North to Star Bank
● Red Oak Lane, from East Main Street
● River Road, from New Bridge North to the pavement change
● Royce Court, from 126th Street
● Shades Court, from Kingsbury Drive
● Shakamac Drive, from Illinois Street to the pavement change
● Six Points Road, from 1620 West 136th Street
● Smokey Row Road, from Bridge to School Entrance
● Spruce Drive, from Gray Road to 859 Spruce Drive
● WeStreet Road, from 141st Street to 131st Street
● Whitworth Drive, from Edinburgh Drive
● Williamson Parkway, from 106th Street to Power Drive
● Wilson Drive
● Worchester Drive, from Edinburgh Drive to Whitworth Drive