On Feb.2 at 6:30 p.m., Carmel Police observed two black male suspects breaking into cars in the Granite City parking lot at 150 West 96th Street. The suspects left the parking lot driving a gold Ford Taurus. The vehicle traveled westbound on 96th Street toward Springmill Road. Carmel Police attempted to stop the Ford Taurus southbound Springmill Road/ south of 96th Street. The driver, later identified as Johnny Lee Woodrupp (a black male, 28 years old from Indianapolis) and passenger Joseph Lamont Gant (a black male, 31 years old from Indianapolis), led police on a vehicle chase while southbound Springmill Road into Indianapolis.
While fleeing from officers, Woodrupp continued to travel south on Springmill Road. Woodrupp crashed his vehicle near the intersection of 72nd Street and Springmill Road. Woodrupp and Gant then fled on foot from the crashed vehicle. Woodrupp was later apprehended by an Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department K9 officer in the area of 72nd Street and Stephenson Street. Gant was apprehended in the area of 64th Street and Sunset Drive by IMPD.
Woodrupp was arrested and transported to the Hamilton County Jail for further processing. Woodrupp’s bond was set at $25,000. Listed below are his preliminary charges:
1) Resisting Law Enforcement/Use of a vehicle, Level 6-Felony
2) Theft, Level 6-Felony
3) Resisting Law Enforcement, Class A-Misdemeanor
4) Unauthorized Entry of a Motor Vehicle, Class B-Misdemeanor
5) Theft, Class A-Misdemeanor
6) Criminal Mischief (Two Charges), Class B-Misdemeanor
7) Criminal Recklessness, Class B-Misdemeanor
Gant was arrested and transported to the Hamilton County Jail for further processing. Gant’s bond was set at $5,000. Listed below are his preliminary charges:
1) Resisting Law Enforcement, Class A-Misdemeanor
2) Theft, Class A-Misdemeanor
3) Unauthorized Entry of a Motor Vehicle, Class B-Misdemeanor
4) Criminal Mischief, Class B-Misdemeanor
5) Theft, Level 6-Felony