On Feb. 5, several cars parked in the lot of Towne Meadow Elementary were broken into.
The following e-mail was sent to parents and guardians in the Carmel Clay School system:
Dear CCS Community,
We wanted to inform you that earlier today several vehicles were broken into in the Towne Meadow parking lot. The Carmel Police Department were immediately called to investigate and handle the incident.
There have been reports of similar vehicle break-ins in Hamilton County today, most at daycare facilities where items of value are left in plain sight. Safety is a top priority for Carmel Clay Schools and we work with the Carmel Police Department to keep our district safe and secure for our students, staff and families.
We want to take this opportunity to share several tips from the Carmel Police Department on preventing theft from vehicles:
- Remember to lock your doors. Most often, these thefts occur because vehicles are left unlocked, even for a short period of time.
- Remove personal items or packages from plain sight, including: purses or wallets, cell phones and cords, electronic devices (such as GPS units, tablets, computers), CD’s, car keys, radar detectors and cords, loose change or cash, presents/gifts.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Do you see someone watching from a nearby car?
- Always park in well-lighted, high traffic areas.
- Completely close your car windows when parking. Don’t make it easy for a thief to gain entry.
- Utilize a car alarm.
- Report suspicious activity to the Carmel Police Department (non-emergency phone number: 317-571-2580).
Carmel Clay Schools