By Dawn Pearson
Walking tacos, lemon shake-ups and gyros, oh my! Those are just some of the many food offerings available at the 64th annual Fall Festival Sept. 8 to 10 at Lions Park.
This year’s event features all sorts of treats. One of last year’s hot-selling items will make a comeback, according to Tim Reinhart, Fall Festival chairman and vice president of operations for Artistic Awards in Indianapolis.
“One of the newest favorite times from last year’s fair was the gyros, and they will be back this year and is one of the newest foodstand items,” Reinhart said. Egyptian Café will sell them at the festival.
Festival classic elephant ears also will be among the offerings. The fried, sweetened dough originally was created and prepared over a campfire, according to Buckskin Cookery, a cookbook on how to re-create 19th Canadian frontier dishes, and were formally known as Beaver Tails. Now, the dough is deep-fried and served with a variety of toppings.
“There are multiple food vendors for this year’s festival,” Reinhart said. “But the Elephant Ears with special toppings are always a big hit.”
Food vendors include:
• Georgia’s Kitchen: Philly cheese steaks, Italian sausages and walking tacos.
• Three Spuds, Pennington Concessions: Tornado potatoes, bistro burgers and loaded pork fries.
• Coffman Concessions: Elephant ears, soda and homemade lemonade.
• Greeks Pizza.
• Kettle Corn.
• Lions Club food: tenderloins, corn dogs, chicken fingers, hamburgers and French Fries.
• Leo’s Club: shaved ice.
• Norvell’s BBQ with Ribs.
• Egyptian Café Gyros Stand.
• Celebration Central: sweet treats and drinks in the Kid’s Corner
Visitors do not have to purchase food tickets. They can pay at each stand. There is an ATM inside the festival.