By Jarred Meeks
For the fifth consecutive year, Zion Nature Center will conduct a season-long event consisting of weekly dog walks at Zionsville parks.
Tails on the Trails will give residents the opportunity to explore eight different parks and enter drawings to win “wag bags” containing dog treats. Resident who complete six of the eight walks with their dogs receive a gift from the Zionsville Parks Dept.
Participants enter online and mark their progress online, and their dogs are entered in a drawing for that week for prizes from sponsors such as Pet Supplies Plus, Pet Valu, Zionsville Country Veterinary Clinic and Three Dog Bakery.
The walks are on trails that range from a half-mile to 2 miles.
“Even the smallest little dog legs can handle the majority of them,” Zion Nature Center Park Naturalist Mindy Murdock said.
Tails on the Trails also gives residents the chance to explore green spaces in a group setting.
“We realize some people aren’t comfortable going in areas that they’ve never been in before by themselves,” Murdock said. “And they also are still looking for ways to socialize their dogs.”
Residents can walk any of the trails on their own and still mark their progress online to be considered for prizes.
For more or to sign up, visit zionsville-in.gov/452/Tails-on-the-Trails.
Tails on Trails schedule
- Sept. 11: 6 p.m. at Elm Street Green Park, 165 Elm St.
- Sept. 18: 6 p.m. at Mulberry Fields, 9645 Whitestown Rd.
- Sept. 28: 10 a.m. at Creekside Nature Park, 11001 E. Sycamore St.
- Oct. 5: 10 a.m. at Turkey Foot Nature Park, 4795 Turkeyfoot Ave.
- Oct. 12: 10 a.m. at Starkey Nature Park, 667 Sugarbush Dr.
- Oct. 19: 10 a.m. Big-4 Rail Trail North, 4050 S. 875 E.
- Oct. 30: 6 p.m. at Zion Nature Sanctuary, 690 Beech St.