Commentary by Kristen Howard
Let’s face it, no one likes to think that they are getting older. Admitting that you might need some assistance in the coming years is never an easy discussion. But no matter where you are in your golden years, planning early is the key.
So, why is this important?:
- The decisions are yours and no one else’s.
- You can clearly identify your wants and needs to your adult children and extended family.
- Planning prevents rushed and last-minute decisions.
- If your health changes, you are prepared.
- It provides time to research your next move and where you would like to live.
- It gives you and your loved one’s time to organize and plan, providing peace of mind.
Getting started may seem like a daunting task, but here are some things you can do:
- If you have adult children, organize a group phone call discussion or live meeting. The more you are all on the same page, the less stress and disputes will occur.
- Meet with a senior transition company that can help you with all aspects of your move. The more they can manage for you, the better.
- Start researching senior communities or other living options. There are many levels of care to choose from. Make sure your current and future health needs will be met.
- When possible, start sorting through your things months ahead and do it one room at a time. By doing so, it will not be as overwhelming as trying to go through everything all at once.
Downsizing can be overwhelming at any age, but with some forethought and planning, it does not need to be a daunting task. If you or someone you know is ready to start the downsizing process, feel free to reach out to us at: [email protected] or 1-833-284-HALO (4256)
Kristen Howard is the director of marketing and outreach at Halo Senior Solutions