NFD Firefighters stay busy with summer blazes

0
  • Date: June 1
  • Time of the 911 call: 1:30 a.m.
  • Crew’s arrival/Fire out: 1:34 a.m./1:55 a.m.
  • Homeowner: Tonya Hyman
  • Location: 9040 E. 206th St., Noblesville
  • Incident Type: Residential fire
  • What happened?: The homeowner, her two sons and two of her sons’ friends were all asleep when Hyman’s 12-year-old son Austin was awakened by a loud sound. NFD Division Chief Rick Russell said Hyman and Austin went searching through the house looking for the cause of the big bang, when she discovered a working fire inside the attached single-car garage. The home did not have working smoke detectors.
  • The fire originated inside the garage in the area of the water heater. Hyman said that for the past two weeks they have been having problem with the gas water heater and that twice a day she would have to light the pilot.
  • Injuries: Two firefighters injured at the scene were transported to Riverview Hospital – one with an injured back and the other with an ankle injury. Both were treated and released from the hospital.
  • Damages: $80,000 

  • Date: June 4
  • Time of the 911 call: 7:16 p.m.
  • Crew’s arrival: 7:22 p.m.
  • Homeowner: Dr. Norman and Peggy Mindrebo
  • Location: 5465 E. 161st St., Noblesville
  • Incident Type: Barn fire
  • What happened?: NFD Engine 76 was the first to arrive on-scene and reported one barn was fully involved and a second barn was 50 percent engulfed in flames. Dr. Mindrebo was in the home at the time of the fire, while Mrs. Mindrebo had just returned from riding horses with a family friend around 6:45 p.m. Mrs. Mindrebo and a family friend stated that after horseback riding they smelled something out of the ordinary, but did not notice any smoke or fire. The Mindrebos were able to get six horses safely out to pasture.
  • NFD was assisted by the Westfield Fire Dept., Carmel Fire Dept. and Wayne Township Volunteer Fire Dept., Hamilton County. Officials said the area of the fire is a non-fire hydrated area; therefore, the assisting fire departments helped shuttle water to the fire scene, as well as work suppressing the fire.
  • The fire is currently under investigation by the NFD.
  • Injuries: None
  • Damages: A dollar loss cannot be determined at this time. 

  • Date: June 6
  • Time of the 911 call: 3:44 a.m.
  • Crew’s arrival/Fire out: 3:49 a.m./4:47 a.m.
  • Homeowner: Frank Hart
  • Address: 1053 N. 10th St., Noblesville
  • Incident Type: Residential fire
  • What happened?: Hart was awoken from his sleep by the sound of his dogs barking, and then they came into his bedroom and jumped on his bed. Hart stated that when he woke up he could smell smoke. He walked into the kitchen and could see fire through the kitchen window. The kitchen was adjacent to the mother-in-law quarters connected to the main framework of the home. No one occupies the mother-in-law quarters, because it was used for storage.
  • Injuries: None
  • Damages: Estimated damage amount is unknown at this time. The fire destroyed the mother-in-law quarters and damaged a portion of the house.
Share.

Leave A Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.