Commentary by Heather Kestian
The end of kindergarten is drawing near and as my soon-to-be first grader is preparing for next year, we are looking back on this year and the things we have learned. We had some momentous lessons this year. In my humble opinion, here is the list of the best kindergarten lessons.
1. It is always good to stand up for yourself and your friends. My sweet child, I will never be upset when you stand up for yourself and protect your friends. I will, however, hope that it never becomes physical.
2. Words are an incredible source of power, choose them wisely.
3. Teachers are underpaid. I do not know how much they make, but it is not enough.
4. Doing the right thing is hard and often unpopular. When others are shouting to do something that you know is wrong, I am proud, my little one, that you said to not do it. Even when you are the only one, please never be afraid to be that one. We need more people who look at a situation, think about the consequences, and shout “that is not right.” Keep thinking. Keep speaking.
5. If what you are doing is not working, you are obligated to change whatever it is that you are doing. Do not expect different results from doing the same thing, over and over. You are far smarter.
6. Your parents think you are amazing, my dear child. However, not everyone will think you are amazing and that is fine. You have learned, albeit it took a while, that you are not defined by what other people think of you.
7. Choose your friends well and be good to them. They will stay with you if you let them. If you are really lucky, they will spend the rest of your life being your buddy.
8. Math and science rock. So does physical education. And recess.
9. You will always remember your kindergarten teacher. You cannot marry her, and I know that is a disappointment. However, she will always be kind, and wonderful, and you will miss her. Always say hello to her in the hallway because she helped mold you into a wonderful reader and budding mathematician.
10. You now know your mother’s phone number. You officially have no reason to not call her when you need her.