The City of Lawrence Common Council heard a report Feb. 5 about the Lawrence Fire Department’s annual awards banquet, which was Feb. 3 at Daniel’s Vineyard.
Deputy Chief of Staff LeAndre Level told the council that several firefighters were recognized during the event for their service and dedication to the City of Lawrence.
The Medal of Bravery went to three men: firefighter and paramedic William Bowersox, Lt. Nick Hensel and Lt. Nick Rehmel.
Other awards were:
- Officer of the Year — Lt. Nick Rehmel
- Firefighter of the Year — Firefighter Todd Wooldridge
- Rookie of the Year — Firefighter Jordan McClellan
- Civilian of the Year — Paramedic Jared Long
- Firefighter/Paramedic of the Year — Anthony Ammerman
- Firefighter/EMT of the Year — Chris Ulrich
- Professional Excellence Award — Firefighter/EMT Jake Turpin and Lt. Nick Hensel
- Commendation of Merit — Captain Jeff Balak, Firefighter/EMT Kevin Sheek, Firefighter/EMT Steve Rech and Firefighter/EMT Adam Elrod
- Chiefs Award — Firefighter/EMT Jason Mooney
- Union Award — Lt. Eric Jenkins
The ceremony also included unit citations for specific response incidents. The department’s A shift was recognized for a residence fire, an EMS run and a SWAT incident, The C-shift was recognized for its response to two residence fires.
Also during its Feb. 3 meeting, the council made numerous appointments to various city boards and commissions, and unanimously approved a resolution to hire Frost Brown Todd law firm as its new legal counsel.
The council’s previous attorney was Kristina Wheeler of Bose McKinney & Evans.
The next Lawrence Common Council meeting is set for 6:30 pm. Feb. 21 at Lawrence Government Center, 9001 E. 59th St.