Monon Greenway connection complete


Bicyclists and pedestrians now have a safer trip across 146th Street as the Monon Bridge is completed and open.

The Monon Bridge project is a partnership between Westfield, Hamilton County, Carmel/Clay Board of Parks and Recreation and Clay Township. The Hamilton County Highway Dept. was the lead agency in designing and obtaining federal funding for the five-span, pre-engineered steel truss bridge to connect the Monon Greenway from Carmel to Westfield over and across 146th Street.

“The completion of the bridge not only provides a safe crossing across a very busy thoroughfare, but also builds on Westfield’s goal of creating trail connectivity throughout the city and Hamilton County. The bridge is a great example of local government entities partnering together to provide a valuable resource for residents,” Westfield Mayor Andy Cook said of the opening.

Cook said the bridge structure spans nearly 800 feet with a 12-foot-wide path to provide safe crossing for users and will include heating elements.

According to the agreement, the county will be responsible for all structural maintenance of the bridge. The Clay Township trustee and/or the park board will be responsible for paying the electric charges necessary to heat the bridge, maintaining the heating system and periodic removal of snow, trash and other debris from the bridge.

Officials said it cost $3.37 million to complete the project. Cook said the bridge was a Federal Aid project utilizing Indianapolis MPO funds to cover approximately 80 percent of the utility relocation, construction and construction inspection costs. The remaining 20 percent and all of the design costs were locally funded.

Construction on the project began in August 2012 but weather delayed the earlier completion of the project.



Current Morning Briefing Logo

Stay CURRENT with our daily newsletter (M-F) and breaking news alerts delivered to your inbox for free!

Select list(s) to subscribe to

By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: Current Publishing, 30 S. Range Line Road, Carmel, IN, 46032, You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact